Monday, October 25, 2010

Dear ... Everyone Who Wants Me To Do Things

Dear Everyone,

I am tired.

I am very tired.

And I am tired during almost every minute of the day in which I am not asleep.

I try to do my job without yawning and although mornings are often blurry, I don't let my children leave the house with syrup smeared across their faces. But still ... I nap at least three times a week and have contemplated whether or not it would be a misuse of sick time to go home and sleep during the work day.

Supposedly, going under general anesthesia results in several months of fatigue. I went under three times. Menopause causes hot flashes, night sweats and insomnia. Anxiety and depression are known to hinder a good night's sleep. And Tamixofen, the cancer drug that I will take for five years, has tiredness as a side effect. So, I guess this shouldn't be shocking to me.

But it's been eight and a half months! I am a zombie.

Also, I'm sad. And pretending all day that I'm not is exhausting.

To those of you who are wondering if I'm okay, I am. I'm healthy. I don't have cancer. I'm not undergoing any horrific treatments and don't have any surgeries scheduled. But in case you were unsure, it is not very helpful to say: "Are you all right? You don't look good." You can all just stop that. No one wants to hear that they look like crap.

Plus, the next time someone says that to me, I will either cry or smack them. I'm not saying which ... it's a surprise.

7 comments:

Gina and Tim said...

Next time I'll just tell you to take a nap in the guest room. That will be much more helpful. :)

jdoughe3 said...

If anyone says you look tired, I'LL SMACK them. Just call me, rat out the dope, I'll plot out a plan of attack. think of the surprise when I pop out of nowhere in a week or so and crack them across the face. They literally won't know what hit them.

Seriously, every time I see you I think you look amazing.

A

Heather Peterson said...

When my dad came to Boulder this summer to help us with the move, he said "I don't think I've ever seen you look so tired." And I was only coming off of waling pneumonia and gearing up for a cross country move. I'm not surprised that you are tired, and I'm never surprised when people say stupid things. Ignore them as best you can and get rest whenever possible. Both easier said then done, I know.

xo
Heather

cathedwards said...

If you take a nap, you can have an ice cream cone, or perhaps a nothen lights latte...

I know you are tired. And yet even though I want you to "JUST TAKE A NAP,"
My heart swells when you offer to come and sit a vigil with your dad's dying aunt. I know you should sleep, I know you are tired.I know also that your heart is so big, that it keeps you awake to all the needs and suffering around you. That is who you are. I am sorry you are tired, my little loving Liz, I love you.
Mom

Andy - Becky Carlson said...

Time for a cot at work....during lunch hour.....good Idea....We agree with jdoughe3....We think you are awsome.....and on the move!!.(do we get hugs? for positive honest comments....smile)...

Crista said...

I sobbed when it snowed, knowing that it wouldn't be warm again for at least 6 months. This realization alone makes me tired, so please, be tired all you want, you're going through many more changes than just this crappy MN weather season thingy.

Charlotte said...

Oh I am so glad I didn't say anything last week when we served lunch together. Actually I thought you looked pretty good. Your smile is gorgeous and you do an amazing job hiding how you feel. (Though one should never have to hide how they feel.) I think the only thing that would have made you look more stunning would have been a hair net to go along with your plastic gloves and apron.