Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It's Not a Vampire Bite

On Monday, Scott and I went to see a head and neck surgeon at the University of Minnesota.  We were referred to him (and squished into his busy schedule as a result of ) our good friend Bill, who also works as an ENT at the U.

At our request, Dr. Khariwala removed two more lymph nodes for a second biopsy.  His idea was to perform a needle biopsy, which is much less invasive than the surgery, of course.  On the downside, if a needle biopsy comes back negative, then you are unsure if the lymph node is negative or if the needle missed the cancer cells.  As a result of our history, we opted to have the whole thing taken out right away.

So, on Tuesday, I went in for another surgery.  It went very well, considering that the goal was to slice out part of my neck.  It was a general anesthetic surgery, so yesterday was spent dealing with the after effects of having a breathing tube down my throat.  Today is much better.

Now I'm recovering from the biopsy in my armpit and a new one by my left collarbone.  It's not terrible.  I've certainly dealt with much worse.  Plus, it gives me a chance to take a bunch of Vicodin induced naps and catch up on my trashy reality shows.

Plus, this week is a totally different waiting game from last week.  With the first biopsy, we were trying to confirm lymphoma.  It was a terrible, heartbreaking and anxiety filled several days.

This time, though, Scott and I feel like we are trying to rule out cancer.  Two negative biopsies would be a pretty clear indication that this isn't lymphoma.  So, maybe next week's results will bring us that.  We also hope to find out more about why I have symptoms, if they aren't associated with cancer; which is why the pathologists at the U are looking for EVERYTHING.

Half of the sample went to the pathology lab and the other half went to the microbiology lab.  With luck, they will find something like a bacterial infection or an autoimmune disease.  And if all of that doesn't solve the mystery, then I also have a rheumatologist reviewing my case and an appointment with the infectious disease department in two weeks.

So, we are confident that an answer is on the way.

Go science!

1 comment:

Jennifer Glenn said...

I don’t know what to say…I’m so sad that you are going through this crap again. Know that your fans are rooting for you. Your posts are a refreshing reminder that you certainly have kept a good sense of humor throughout this process. On the bright side (if there is one), you are an incredible wealth of knowledge for those who may be in similar shoes as you. You should consider being a counselor for cancer patients. They could use someone like you in their corner. I hope everything comes back cancer-free and they find out what is wrong so it can be fixed quickly. Big hugs!!

Jen Glenn