Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Great News

I have some phenomenal news. I get to go to Denver to take Jesse to school! 

During my visit with oncology last week, my doctor and I agreed that the cost of missing out on that rite of passage was just too high. 

Her decision might have had to do with the fact that she is also a mother ... or maybe it was the tears. I'm pretty close to tears all the time now, so that part is kind of hard to avoid. 

With some precautions and added protections, she feels like me going is a reasonable risk. 

On Friday I went back to the oncologist and received a COVID antibody medication called EVUSHELD, which is a pre-exposure prophylaxis. So, I'm super-immune now - not COVID-proof, but definitely more COVID resistant than before. Think of me like a Timex watch. If you splash COVID all over me, I could probably repel it. But if you submerge me in a vat of COVID, my protections would probably fail. 

If you want more precise evusheld edification, I'll tell you that it "is an investigational medicine used in adults and adolescents who have moderate to severe immune compromise due to a medical condition or have received immunosuppressive medicines or treatments and may not mount an adequate immune response to COVID-19 vaccination," Administration involves two injections of tixagevimab and cilgavimab. They're really catchy names I think. 

Supposedly, my super-powers last for six months after which time I will be eligible for two more really substantial injections into my buttocks. Hopefully, by then I will be back to health and ready to battle the pandemic like the rest of you. 

I'm also going in tomorrow for some extra bloodwork to determine if I should have some blood cell producing booster. As I wrote that, I realized that I have no idea what that is. What I've been told is that if my counts are dangerously low, there will be some action taken. I'm not sure if that is some sort of injection, infusion, prescription, or blood transfusion. We shall see.

Anyway, all of this means that I'm not going to be left behind when Jesse moves, which is the best news I've had in a long time. Colorado, here we come!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is truly THE BEST news!!! 🥰. So glad you get to make the journey to Colorado. How on earth do we have kids old enough to be in college???

Anonymous said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! I am so thrilled for you!!!! -Carrie

cathedwards said...

That is really super! Almost as super as when you ‘ruined’ Christmas for your brothers, by announcing via a printed ultrasound that you were pregnant (with this person who is now heading to CO) and so I never cared about the gift they had even wrapped… Almost though, very very close…
Love, Cathmomnona

Mags said...

Is the covid resistance affected by the depth of submersion in the vat? As in, "covid resistant to 10 meters?" Regardless, this is great news!!

Anonymous said...

This is such incredible news! So excited for Jesse and glad you get to be a part of this special time!

Dave said...

Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news Liz. Hope you get Jesse off to a great start.

Anonymous said...

So glad! Love you all! The Doughertys

Karen said...

Gosh this is great news for your whole family! I’m so proud of you for pushing for what you wanted and opting to get souped-up for the journey. You are the best mom. ❤️❤️❤️ We all love you so very much.

Anonymous said...

Your neighbors are super happy you get to go!!!

Jim Benson said...

Great news Liz and great to see you back on the blog. Wish Jesse the best for me