Monday, September 19, 2022

Congratulations to Me!

I have successfully completed all eight rounds of chemotherapy!

No more ice mittens!

No more guilting Scott into going to get coffee and donuts. 
No, actually I'll probably still do that for a while.

No more port?
Sadly, I've been advised to keep stupid Viper in there at least for the next two months.
During radiation, there will be lots of blood draws and there may be the need for I.V. fluids.
So, it just makes the best sense to keep the port for now. Boo, hiss.

But focusing on the silver lining, much celebration was had last week. My family and I went out to a fantastic dinner on Thursday to commemorate the end of chemo. Jesse, we missed you. I hope that Denver's dining hall treated you well.

On Friday, I showed up to work to find my very own parking space, marked "Former Chemo Patients Parking Only."

The way into the building was decorated with signs reading "Liz Fights Cancer Like a Boss." My whole team was inside the doors clapping for me as I entered. 

My office door even was treated to an upgrade!

Once inside, there were more surprises: gorgeous flowers, a princess torte, and a cookie bouquet.

Even as I write this, four days later, I can't stop smiling.
I am certainly surrounded by love. 

Thank you to everyone who has been part of this dumb, dumb journey. Some days, sadness engulfs me and then I receive an amusing GIF or an offensive greeting card and my spirits are lifted. I appreciate all of you more than I have the mental capacity to say. 

I know that I'm woefully behind on thank you notes. I'll get to them soon; I promise. For now, I'm spending all my daily energy on necessary human tasks and waging a cellular war. Oh, I'm also reading A LOT. Please send book recommendations. 

So what's next?

1. Recover from chemo. I spent the weekend on the couch with fatigue, bone pain, and a fever. The first part of this week I'll be be working from home, taking naps when needed. 

2. Return to work and get a bunch of stuff done, because:

3. Radiation mapping starts on Monday.

Xoxo, Liz

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing chemo!! You’re kicking cancer in the patootie!! Sending you a big hug- Mitz

Anonymous said...

Love this post almost as much as we love you! The Doughertys

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Neighbor
I’m sure radiation isn’t as much fun as going to Chuck E Cheese but…you’re totally over the hump )

Duffy Pearce said...

Isnt it a confidence that such a lovely woman would have coworkers who do such lovely things for her?

Anonymous said...

Loved this post. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats and good luck on Monday! Sending hugs and prayers your way!! - the Thorp’s