Monday, June 7, 2010

Moving Through the Stages

Dear Readers,

Last night, I found myself repeatedly stabbing a box with a pen. I took great satisfaction in the dents and holes made by the pen tip. STAB, STAB, STAB! Pleasing were the smashing and crunching noises as the cardboard gave way to the plastic and metal. BANG, BANG, BANG! I made swiss cheese out of the top of the box and was having a jolly good time at it, too ... until Scott reminded me that we had sleeping children.

And then he took the pen away.

Why? Why with the holes and the pen and the impaling? I was mad. Not mad enough to take him up on his offer to use him as a punching bag, but mad.

I didn't know what was wrong with me. Then, this morning, a wise woman at work cleared it all up for me. (Thank you, Patty.) She told me that I'm going through the stages of grief. I'm on number two. I'm angry.

Yes, yes. That sounds reasonable. Plus, I googled it. It's in wikipedia, so it must be true. Here's what I learned. In 1969, Swiss psychiatrist Elisabeth Kubler-Ross wrote a book called On Death and Dying. She was a brilliant woman; she published more than two dozen books, received twenty honorary degrees and effectively created the hospice movement from the ground up. She was also a woman whose life was filled with misfortune. Becoming pregnant at the wrong time in her career caused her to lose her place in her pediatric residency program. Then, she had several miscarriages. Eventually, she had two children, but then she got divorced. Later, her house burned down, supposedly from arsonists because she was such an active proponent of care for patients dying from AIDS. Yuck. I'm glad I just had cancer.

Anyway, in this very famous book (whose title I recognize, but which I have never read) she presents the grief process as having stages. First, denial. Then, anger followed by bargaining, depression and acceptance. I admit that I may have dabbled in bargaining. It's possible that I promised God that he could have my hair and all my non-essential internal organs if I could live to see my children grow up to be adults. But, this is kind of embarrassing. It's like begging, right? Lame.

So, anger. This is new to me. I'm familiar with stage number one, denial. I think that I resided there for some time, because everything happened so fast. There wasn't time to process this new warped version of reality. Information was flying at me like golf ball-sized hail. The decisions about which kind of treatment I "wanted" had to be made before I had a moment to catch my breath. Then, I laughed a little. And then, I had surgery and it hurt to breathe.

On to stage four: depression.

I don't know how many of you know this, but I was on antidepressants before my diagnosis. Have I said this, before? Maybe. Who can keep track? (And, no, Nick. I haven't taken my Ambien, yet, tonight.) Anyway, I was having some severe emotional problems/hormonal imbalances at the end of last year. I started seeing a therapist in December. She put me on a heavy dose of vitamin D and told me to stop holding myself accountable to such high expectation levels. She claims that not everyone is as worrisome as I. Who cares if the dishes aren't washed before we leave the house in the morning? Who cares if the kids watch a little t.v., now and then? I'll tell you who ... almost nobody ... and I'm the almost. Apparently, I put a lot of pressure on myself. I'm working on it.

Besides the vitamin D and the therapy, I also started taking a little happy pill. It's awesome. And you'll never guess what my doctor said when she prescribed it. Go ahead. Guess. I'll wait.

No, that's wrong.

She said: "I've seen people become depressed for no obvious reason and then two months later, their husband dies or they lose their job. Sometimes, the body knows something that we don't. But, there's nothing wrong with you. Your hormone levels look good. Your thyroid is fine. You're in perfect shape. Yours is not a body riddled with cancer. Believe me, you couldn't be, with labs like these."

Two months later, I was diagnosed with cancer.

And, now, I'm angry. I'm mad that I've gained weight and that I need new pants and that I have scars and that I'm still finding undissolved stitches on my bleeding breasts and that my hair is falling out and that I can't dig a hole in the garden for the new hydrangea that I bought. Plus, I'm unreasonably angry at things that should make me happy. If I hear one more time about the Cites 97 live broadcast to raise money for breast cancer, I swear that I'm going to smash my radio with my enormous accordion file of medical records. Why? Shouldn't I be pleased that the entire world, seemingly, is rallying to keep other women from going through this? Well, I'm not. I'm furious. I'm seething with rage. I hate everyone who has small problems like what dress to wear for graduation or which playgroup is right for their little athlete of a toddler. I think I might even be angry at the Breast Cancer 3-day people for being able to walk sixty miles when I still need to take a nap most afternoons. That's so ridiculous. I should be grateful. I should be honored.

I'm not. I'm bitter and jealous and resentful. Maybe I should take up Tae Kwon Do, again. I feel like hitting someone.

Still think I'm inspiring and amazing?

Love,
Crabby Liz



16 comments:

Darrell said...

Wowzer Liz!

I'm sure glad I put the dishes in the dishwasher on Saturday -

Oh, and by the way - you Are Amazing -

Love you Lizzer

Pop

Andy - Becky Carlson said...

Right on.....get the box back...stab away.....without delay....have at it....go girl!!

Jennifer Glenn said...

Oh crabby Liz – I don’t think you are crabby at all. And you are beyond inspiring with your ability to be so honest about subjects that most people feel (myself included) are too uncomfortable to openly discuss.

I think I can speak for all of your ‘Liz fans’ when I say it pains us to read of your difficulties. It seems so unfair that you have to go through all of this crap. You are too young and beautiful to have this thrown at you. However, I find myself not only feeling bad for you but also, on a very selfish level, feeling bad for me. I know that sounds absurd! Why in the world should I feel bad for ME when YOU are the one going through this ordeal. But the truth is, I can’t help but keep thinking that your fight could happen to any one of us reading your story at any time. It’s scary. It’s an almost petrifying fear that I try to keep waaaaayyyy back in the cobwebby attic of my brain. So if I were faced with this challenge, how in the world would I deal with it?? The answer is: I have no idea.

You see - this is where your inspiration comes in. You are dealing with it. In fact, you bring it to the next level as you are sharing your experience with all of us novices. I am learning through you that when faced with a gut-wrenching challenge, that there will be a few ups, and there will be a lot of downs, but that it is all part of the process. That is why it is refreshing to see those little happy blogs once in a while. It’s like seeing those little green buds on the trees in the spring after such a cold and colorless winter. It’s just the beginning of the transformation to something beautiful and long awaited - when the sun shines and the cold snow can be forgotten. So you see silly – you are inspiring. Very much so. Thank you professor Liz.

-Jen Glenn

jdoughe3 said...

Wow. I second everything Jenn said.

You are amazing, you are beautiful, you are loved so very much.

Sarah said...

Yes, I do think you're amazing and inspirational. Perhaps even more so now that I've read this post.

cathedwards said...

Often I read your blog and I don't know what to say. I should know, I'm your mom. Like in this one, why haven't I explained the stages of grief to you, given you the book, talked about the stages. I should have told you, protected you, prepared you. I should have talked with you about the loss of dreams and grieving those unmet dreams.
Instead I am cleaning my house as though I were pregnant, sorting, tossing, giving away.
I'm anxious,I cry,I wear a size I never thought I would see me in.
I'm your mom. I should, I should, I should... I don't know what I should... I know that I can't make this better.I know that you are a different woman now than you were on February 3rd.I know that that strong woman will make use of all this suffering and anguish and pain
that it is a journey you are on and there is no turning back.
I know that my heart aches for your pain and your loss.
There is a saying "It couldn't have happened to a nicer person."
I know it is not meant for this situation but yes, this could not have happened to a nicer person.
I am so sorry it did and I love you so much.
Mom

Pa said...

Liz,

I know what to say. Take up Tae Kwon Do again and kick something! I am a good thing to kick if you need a partner.

Dad

The Wills Family said...

Nice try. I still think you're awesome and amazing. Next time, please take Scott up on his offer to use him as a punching bag and invite Nick and I over to watch. We'll bring beer and steaks for Scott's black eye. Through all of these stages of grief, I'm going to pray that there's one thing that you can hold on to and that is the awareness that, as evidenced by the blog posts above, you are so sincerely, incredibly and unconditionally loved.

Heidi Losleben said...

Yes, I STILL think you are inspiring and amazing ... and human.

Unknown said...

Clearly you are still amazing! You have been through a horrific life event and you are able to so articulately say how you feel. You are helping others and you don't even realize it! Keep up the good fight!

Gina and Tim said...

I have so much to say, but none of it belongs here. Maybe tomorrow...

Until then, stab away at that box. I don't want any puncture wounds tomorrow at work.

Crista said...

When angry, I find that a couple long, anguished screams while inside a racquetball court really helps (I'm not joking).

Heather Peterson said...

ummmm.... should I wear some kind of teflon vest when I come visit you Saturday?
Also, if you have not yet signed up for that class at the Loft, do it now. As you know from this blog, writing through grief is hugely helpful. Doing it in a supportive workshop setting can be completely transformative.

Still inspired,
Heather

Unknown said...

Oh Liz. While I do not envy your current situation, I marvel at your incredible self-awareness. Introspection is not my strong suit, but you make all of us think and appreciate what we have. Thank you for your incredible honesty. I walk for you this year. You can do it for yourself next year.

Glenda said...

YES! To answer your last question.
I know it sounds silly, but it helped me a little, listen to the disney channel on Pandora. Kind of reminds you of sweater things.

Elissa said...

Who wants to be inspired and amazed by a perfect person who will just make them feel like they can never measure up? That is boring. You are funny and awesome.

Two books I've loved that have spoken to me about grief and dealing with those things that drop down in front of us, and that for me are also about how we use writing to sort through all of these feelings and experiences: The Cancer Journals, by Audre Lorde, and A Grief Observed, by C.S. Lewis. You might have run across them or might not have, and they might interest you, now or later, or they might not. I'm so excited you're taking a memoir class, but DUH you already know how to write. I've been loving reading your writing.