Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I DO NOT HAVE CANCER!

I called to get my test results, yesterday, figuring that they wouldn't be able to tell me anything over the phone. But, I was wrong!

The oncology nurse said, and I quote ... "your results are normal."

Did you see that? Normal! I haven't received any normal results since I was "No Scar Mommy."

Fittingly, I was at work when I got this happy news, just as I was on February third when I got the life-changing news. When I was diagnosed, I told everyone. My whole office knew, of course, because I was reduced to a crumpled and blubbering pile of patient on my cube floor. They had to help me finish talking to my surgeon, hang up the phone, make sense of the words that had just shattered me and walk across the hall to a private room, from where I called my whole family.

Interestingly, when I got good news, yesterday, I didn't tell anyone. I got off the phone and continued working, filling in spread sheets and calling vendors of trolleys, golf balls and post-it notes. I didn't tell my co-workers during our staff meeting and I didn't call any of my friends. About two hours later, I realized that I should probably send a message to Scott and my mom, which I did ... to great fanfare.

Later, after Scott and I had put the kids to bed and were well into a celebratory bottle of wine, I asked him how he felt about the clear scan. Six months ago, he was - as we all were - shocked to hear that I had cancer. He was even more shocked to learn that it was a pretty big deal and that the recommended course of action was a double mastectomy. Last night, he confessed that he was surprised to hear the good news. After so much disappointment, and so many setbacks, we were both expecting to hear the worst. We hadn't talked about it, but silently and stoically, we were bracing for the impact which, thankfully - this time - did not come.

It's about time.

Suck it, cancer. You have no home here.

18 comments:

Darrell said...

HIP HIP PORAY!! HIP HIP PORAY!! HIP HIP PORAY!!
I think this could be the best gift I ever received - and that Lovely Lady is saying alot, cause I sure have had some pretty neat gifts over the years (ie: Grandkids, etc., ect.)
So thanks again for being such an Amazing Woman!

Pop

Gina and Tim said...

This statement makes me the happiest I could be:
"Suck it, cancer. You have no home here."

MaryPat said...

That is the BEST news I have heard in a long time! You earned it after fighting the good fight...Congratulations!

Sarah said...

Yaaaaaayyyyyy! This news brings tears to my eyes. Congratulations, Liz. I am so happy for - and PROUD OF - you!

Heidi Losleben said...

Congratulations. Best news ever.

Craig and Amy Kishel said...

Yay!! We are so happy! I got the chills reading your blog today. Great news!

Lots of love,
Amy Kishel

Colleen said...

Liz,

This is wonderful news! You earned it after fighting so long and hard. Congratulations! I am so happy for you!

Heather Peterson said...

Chills. Tears. Can't wait to hug you.

Love,
Heather

Andy - Becky Carlson said...

I second the comment of Gina and Tim...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Liz and Scott on such great news! Best wishes for continued "Normal" results!
Patty McPherson

hoxn said...

Leapin' LIZards - that's awesome news! Congratulations on your normality. You are awesome, Liz!

Anonymous said...

Pretty awesome!

Dbarry

Charlotte said...

CONGRATULATIONS Liz!!! What fantastic news I am so happy for you and your family.

Charlotte B.

Jennifer Glenn said...

That is such awesome news! Congrats. Hopefully you can breath a little easier now with the good results. Your aggressive means of battling the beast has been proven to be a good choice. I'm not sure when the next big test is, but I am so happy to hear that you are winning the battle :)

Take care.
-Jen

Anonymous said...

Liz - I am so very happy for you. Reading your message brought a big smile to my face and a lift in my heart. Thank you for sharing your life so openly with everyone. There is so much positive energy being sent out into the universe over this news ... who knows all of the lives you have impacted by sharing the fullness of your story -- the pain, fear, disappointment, anger, and the love, joy, peace and gratitude. I can just picture your mom's face and her reaction as she read your fabulous news! Continue to enjoy every moment this incredible life brings you!

Terry Guindon

Martha Conners said...

So, so so happy to read the words, "Suck it cancer. You have no home here". Congratulations to you and Scott for knocking this beast down.

Martha

The Wills Family said...

Best.News.Ever. Clearly, you rock. Cancer sucks. Are you keeping score? Cancer - 0. Liz - a billion. Still winning. I love it.

Anonymous said...

SWEET! One of the riders on RAGBRAI with Team LiveStrong had a t-shirt that said "FU Cancer".

Lot's of positive vibes coming down Snelling to the Hewitt House.