Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Five Hundred, Twenty-Five Thousand, Six Hundred Minutes

Well, it's been a year ... almost.

One of my doctors told me to watch out for the one year mark. He said that he has seen countless patients who are coping wonderfully just be broken by that first anniversary. Yesterday, I found out what he meant.

We are hosting a memorial service at work this week. It is for an alum who died of cancer. She graduated four years before I did. When I was little, I used to play in her house. She has two children, a son and a daughter. She had breast cancer, got better, and then got sick again as the cancer spread to her brain.

I am in charge of the event. I have been talking to caterers, liturgists, and valet parkers trying to make tomorrow night's service beautiful for the family.

My anniversary is on Thursday.

I expected that this might be difficult, but I did not expect to to fall apart in the middle of Hallmark, yesterday. I guess that I should have asked someone else to go buy the guestbook for the woman who died of cancer. I also did not expect to have a hyperventilating, gasping for breath, face tingling, weak limbs breakdown after I left the store. I'm having a tough week.

I keep having flashbacks to the phone call I took while collapsed on my office floor. I remember throwing pens over my cubicle wall to get Gina's attention as my doctor's voice on the other end of the line became blurry and incomprehensible. I remember Renee coming over with wine and a bottle of margaritas, because she was unsure what to give to a friend who was just diagnosed with cancer. I remember drinking most of that bottle on my own ... and it still not being enough alcohol to lull me to sleep. I remember that Scott was out of town and I he had to take a red-eye flight home because his wife was too sick for him to stay. I remember the horror of the office visit that next morning, hearing words like: mastectomy, chemotherapy and hysterectomy. In the following weeks, I remember my mother's birthday being an unusually somber occasion. I remember Scott needing an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all of my medications. I remember friends coming to visit me in my pajamas. I remember Heather flying in from New York to my bedside. I remember Scott's mother taking care of me, because I couldn't do anything by myself. I remember my children staying with my parents, each lucky to have the other.

I remember too much.

This morning, I was listening to the song Seasons of Love, from Rent. If you've never heard it, I urge you to click here. It's beautiful. Here are some of my favorite lyrics, which brought me to my knees as I listened today.

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Moments so dear.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights
In cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.

In five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure
A year in the life?

How about love? Measure in love.

It's time now to sing out,
Tho' the story never ends
Let's celebrate
Remember a year in the life of friends
Remember the love!
Seasons of love!

Oh you got to, you got to
Remember the love!
You know that love is a gift from up above.
Share love, give love, spread love.
Measure measure your life in love.

You have walked this journey with me. You held me up when I couldn't go on alone. You shared in the laughter that sometimes seemed the only way to make it through the pain. This has been a horrible year: I was sick; I suffered through many surgeries and heartache; I am covered in scars; I have lost sensation in a significant part of my body and the ability to bear children; Scott and I watched our babies deal with confusion and mourning that should be way beyond their youthful years. It was rotten.

But, I am here. I am blessed and I am loved. I have three doctors appointments in the coming weeks and there is little reason not to believe that I will hear good news at all of them. (Although I think I will always find my good health to be suspicious. A 13% chance of recurrence doesn't feel so little to me.) While I remain painfully aware of what happened last February, there is a lot of good in my life, especially if I measure my life in love.

And if I look at it that way, my life is already very LONG.


9 comments:

Gina and Tim said...

Perhaps even subconsciously, I knew you needed to hear that one this year. You are strong, and grateful. We will get through the year mark, look back, and smile.

Smile? Yes, because you've come such a long way. And it will only get better from here.

Sarah said...

You know what I remember? I remember feeling totally helpless and unsure about how to help a dear friend and her family deal with such shocking and scary news. And then I remember that very same dear friend totally blowing my mind with her incredible strength, dignity, humor and grace.

That same dear friend continues to do that every single day.

Suck it, cancer.

Love you, Liz.

Crista said...

That family is SO blessed to have you planning their service - no one could give it as much love and attention that it merits like you can.

Liz, you are so important to EVERYONE who is blessed to be in contact with you (and not only those who see you on a day-to-day basis, but also to the lucky people you give a little smile to on the street).

Love you,
Crista

jdoughe3 said...

Ditto, Sarah's comment. We love you, we're proud of you and it's going to be a very good year.

Suck it, cancer.

Love.
A

jdoughe3 said...

Also, I hope something comes of your writing. You've always been a gifted writer and your words have helped us all make our way through this year. Tim O'Brien started one of his famous stories, "This too is true, stories can save us."

Your words have been a guiding light (sometimes I think even to you).

Just a thought.
XOXO
A

The Wills Family said...

Oh, Liz. You are indeed loved. While we often feel helpless because we don't know exactly how to hold you up when you're sad or hurting, you certainly know how to remind us of all that is good in our lives - laughter, friendship, family, love and graceful strength beyond any prediction. Thank you for your willingness to share this journey with us. You inspire me to be better and to laugh more. I can only imagine what you will teach me in the years to come. In the meantime, I pray that you find the energy and courage to celebrate this anniversary with plenty of laughter, a sprinkling of tears and hope for all the joyful moments that await you.

Suck it cancer. You have nothing on my friend, Liz.

Love, A and the rest of the Wills clan

MaryPat said...

I agree with everyone here and especially Anne's comment about writing. You have so elequently stated your thoughts, your hopes, and your fears on this blog. You truly have been inspirational to all of us. Suck it, cancer.

Love you,
MP

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing Rent for the first time at your suggestion/insistence when it was here in MN in '96 or '97. It was loud, louder, loudest so the refrain from Seasons of Love was imprinted within me forever. My 2 year anniversary was coming up and the 'fall apart' episodes were much less frequent. 15 years later and they are gone. We are here for you, Scott, Laila and O now and every moment of every year 'til your b-zillionth anniversary. We are all blessed to have Sunday night dinners, random play dates and sometime soon, dinner and a movie. Our love is constant with many prayers and healing energy flowing your way.
Martha

Mom said...

Here is what I think I know after reading and rereading your post and racking my aging brain...
If love could prevent horrible things, you would not have Cancer, your aunt would not have cancer, my love alone would have been an antedote and I know I am not alone with the love power.
So, if even Mother love doesn't keep the monsters away, what good is it?
Love sits with you and faces the monster. Love takes you to the movies. Love brings you wine and two glasses. Love sits and waits. Love creates medication spreadsheets.

Love cries with you and after you are asleep. Love screams
"Suck-it Cancer". Love dresses up in pink.
Love takes all the 525,600 minutes and laughs with you at the funny ones, swears with you at the unfair ones, and cries with you at the ones in which you are powerless and afraid. Love stays.
Soon you will have been breathing for 18,396,000 minutes.
Soon I will have been breathing for 31,536,000. With my
incredible math skills I see that you have been in my life for
more than half of my minutes. They are my best minutes
because you and then Mags and Pete and Nick are in
them. Love stays.

Hopefully, cancer goes, is gone, is one year and then two and then ten years away.
But whatever happens, my love, love stays.
It stays because our families and our friends hold us up and laugh and cry and throw things with us.
So, one year down and Suck-It Cancer!
Love, mom