Sunday, February 21, 2010

They Spoke Too Soon

We got a call from one of my surgeons. I hate her now. She is a really good doctor and has EXCELLENT bedside manner, but I think I might have to hate her.

When the pathology report came back, it did show that the cancer was removed with clean margins all around. However, the pathologist found the tumor in a slightly different place than was expected. SO... I have to go back in on Tuesday for another ultrasound (the fifth one, if you're counting) to see if that was the same tumor that we had originally seen, or a new one. If it was the same one, then my recovery can continue at the achingly slow pace at which I was already suffering.

If it is a new tumor, then we can relax and panic with renewed fervor. There is relief in the fact that a malignant tumor was successfully removed on Monday, with the rest of the tissue. But, there still may be some tenacious cancer cells hanging out at the original site. In which case, I would go back in for a surgery that my doctors call "an unfortunate inconvenience." Um, yeah.

We'll know more on Tuesday.

Please pray for me.

Please pray for my family.

Please pray for my surgeon ...
  • that she locates and removes all of the offending cells
  • and that she recovers quickly when I wallop her with the ultrasound wand.

14 comments:

Renee Miller said...

The Millers love you!

Heather Peterson said...

boooooo, cancer. boooooo, surgeon.
all fingers and toes crossed that they were right the first time, and that they got it all.

love you,
Heather

Sarah said...

Ah gee. It feels odd to say that I'm rooting for the "recovery at an achingly slow pace" option, but boy is that what I'm rooting for.

Continued prayers for all of you ( though I don't really care about the surgeon's recovery from the wallop).

Love you, Liz.

Simho

The Wills Family said...

I echo Sarah's first statement and will amend our prayers accordingly. I wish we could take shifts and deal with this junk so you didn't have to shoulder it on your own. We love you so. Thanks for the update.

Jennifer Glenn said...

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear about the small (possible) setback. However, at least they are being very very careful to make sure everything is done right and all is gone. You made them listen to you 6 months ago so now at least you don't have to hit them over the head to make sure things are right. I'm praying that on Tuesday you give us all good news!! Then you can hit her over the head for the unnecessary scare :) Take care!!

-Jennifer (Gutzmann) Glenn

Andy - Becky Carlson said...

To your prayers for for the surgeon: May it be so..Amen

For you and your family.....may God's grace and peace abound....

Alicia said...

Your surgeon deserves both the wallop and a DQ cake with extra crunchies. Keep your chin up, Liz!

Unknown said...

Liz - I am so amazed - every minute of every day - at your perserverance and grace. I am sending you hugs filled with lots of T.L.C.!!!
Love you- Susan Russomanno

Gina and Tim said...

I will be thinking of you, and waiting for the results. We're here for you!
XOXO

karen said...

Liz, you and your family are in our prayers. God will bring good from all of this.
Turn it all over to God and let Him worry about it so you don't have to.
God bless you.

Barrysuper6 said...

"It's hard to have hard times come to those who deserve only smiles. You deserve so much of the sweetness of life and so little of its unhappiness." So the way I figure it the last few weeks have been a worth a life time of the bad stuff, I am praying that it is only smooth sailing from now on you deserve it.

We love you guys, please let me know if there is anything that we can help you with.
Marlena

jdoughe3 said...

I'm heading to adoration today (on behalf on the kindergarten parents). We're all praying for you. We're sending lots of love and strength.

Love,
The Dougherty Clan

Unknown said...

Those "tenacious" cancer cells are no match for the tenacious Liz. Sorry to hear about the discouraging news, but as someone once told me, a re-lapse is not a col-lapse.

Take care.

Jennifer

MaryPat said...

I echo all that everyone else has said. Thinking of you all the time and hoping that tomorrow brings good news. I have all of my family praying for you too...John and Patsy are especially good at that ;o)

Love you lots!
~mpt