Monday, May 10, 2010

Are You Feeling Litigious?

I am.

I went to see Dr. Dreyfuss again, today. That makes four times since Wednesday. Stupid. He changed the dressings and put hydrogen peroxide on the open wounds and reprimanded me for trying to take a look. "Now, don't be touching everything."

He is admittedly a very gifted surgeon; my breast reconstruction looks fabulous!

And, I'm happy to report that he's not the kind of doctor to do this:

or this

and definitely not this.

However, my complaint is twofold:
  1. The surgery sites are still not healing well.
  2. Dr. Dreyfuss is being kind of a jack-face.
He doesn't have an especially favorable bedside manor. He isn't particularly adept at explaining the predicted results of surgery and then is not very responsive when I have concerns (like my nipples are turning black or there are open wounds where stitches used to be.) He also seems to be quite skilled at telling me what I'm doing wrong, even though I am following his minimal directions.

I think, Mrs. Glenn, that you are right.

It's time for a second opinion.


5 comments:

The Wills Family said...

He sucks. I'm sorry, especially now that you have to see him so frequently. Perhaps, you should start giving him bedside manner tutorials. Even better, bring Laila and have her do it. She could show him a thing or two...

We love you.

A

Heidi Losleben said...

I'm so sorry about your sucky doctor. I am not in any position to advise and your insurance may have more of a say in this than you (more suckiness), but I have had positive experiences with Piper Breast Center in Minneapolis (affiliated with Abbott). If you like, I'd be happy to share the names of the doctors I dealt with, one of which is a surgeon. I just saw her name in Mpls.-St. Paul "Best Doctors" issue.

You continue to amaze me.

Gina and Tim said...

I'm sorry to hear about the atrocious bedside manner. And even more sorry to look at those things. Those LIPS! Are you SURE they aren't wax or something?

Heather Peterson said...

First of all, genius photo editing in this post. Not the point, but bears a mention.

Second of all, I am so glad that you are going to seek a second opinion.

My mother-in-law, who knows a thing or two about dreaded cancer, suggests going to Mayo, partly because of the positive side of a teaching hospital: you have a whole team, very interested in what is going on with your body, on your side.

A friend here in Colorado also works for a breast center in Denver that is supposed to be the best in the country for breast cancer in young women, particularly young moms.

While the issue at hand is clearly the reconstrucion (and therefore a surgical issue), it does seem to me that it is worth talking to new doctors about the whole kit and kaboodle.

But this is just one opinion. Discard as you see fit.

I don't think I even need to continue with the cliches like Be Strong, as you are trouncing all the inspirational advice out there, but just in case it is helpful to hear it again: Stay strong. You're a total inspiration.

Much love,
Heather

Andy - Becky Carlson said...

I vote for Mayo...or whoevere they would recommend.....now....