Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hip, Hip Poray!

I went to see the oncologist, yesterday. He said that I'm officially in remission. My hormone levels are good. My iron is up. My cancer marker is up a little, but we're not going to worry, yet. Three cheers for me:
  • Hip, Hip ... Poray!
  • Hip, Hip ... Poray!
  • Hip, Hip ... Poray!
(My son is a little confused about the "hooray" thing. I don't blame him. People have a tendency to be a little slack with enunciation. I guess Scott and I must guilty. So, in our house, we have a unique celebration sound, "poray.")

Anyway, I'm in remission. The American Cancer Society explains cancer remission as "a period of time when the cancer is responding to treatment or is under control." It doesn't mean that everything is fine and that I can go back to my regularly scheduled pre-cancer life.

The next step is a PET scan in August, which will show any cancerous activity elsewhere in my body. It should be negative, but I pushed for it, anyway. I told my doctor that I would feel better if I had the test. I also told him that I would feel better if I didn't have a claustrophobia attack during it, so he gave me Ativan to take ahead of time.

Since I have a 13% chance of recurrence, I'll be watched and poked and prodded regularly. The most likely time that the cancer could come back is within the next two years. If I make it to ten years, then I'm considered cancer-free.

In the meantime, I'll keep up with my current regimen of "health." Every morning, I get up and shower, so that I can remove the bandages from my chest. I'm supposed to change them every 24 hours, because the blood makes them stick to the wounds. After that, I take my medications. (I realize that it's a little unorthodox to air a list of drugs, but at this point, what does it really matter? You've been reading about my breasts and ovaries for three months. No one will be shocked to learn that I'm enjoying some anti-depressants, right?) So, here goes:
  • Calcium twice a day to prevent osteoporosis
  • Vitamin D twice a day because I have a deficiency
  • Black Cohosh for hot flashes
  • Biotin for hair loss
  • Zyrtec for allergies
  • Multivitamin for being filled with goodness
  • Tamoxifen for cancer
  • Asprin to prevent heart problems
  • Celexa for anxiety and depression
  • Ambien to help me sleep and to not stress about all of the above symptoms
Don't I seem the picture of health?

Oh, well. Baby steps. Every day, I'm healing. Every day, I'm getting stronger. Every day, I feel the support of all of you.

Thank you.

17 comments:

Sharon said...

That's such great news Liz. Luv u.

Colleen said...

Glad to hear good news, Liz. God Bless you and keep you in good health!

Peace,
Colleen Barry

Andy - Becky Carlson said...

Looking forward to your 10th anniversary!! Love the purpose of the multivitamin....However, I know it only enhanses what God has already give you...

Michelle said...

Congratulations, Liz! May God continue to bless you and your beautiful family! See you at a future game night at the Crows.

Margaret said...

Poray! Poray! You are awesome and I love you.

If you want we can practice for your PET scan by hanging out in one of those crawly-tubes at a McDonald's Playland and visualizing good results. We can take the drugs first to make it more realistic. After having a bunch of kids crawling around and yelling during the practice sessions the real thing will seem relaxing.

Also I will buy you an ice-cream after.

I am a genius.

jdoughe3 said...

Great news! Lot of love to you!

The Wills Family said...

Good news, although I'm sure it doesn't feel like it when you're swallowing a horde of pills every morning. Way to fight the good fight. Seems to be paying off. Keep fighting. We love you.

A

Sarah said...

You positively rock, Liz. This news just made my day. Suck it, cancer. And stay away for good.

Love you.

Crista said...

I like hearing that word - it has a nice ring to it -- remission!!

Margaret said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margaret said...

I would like to update my comment, which I did but then I noticed a spelling error so I had to delete it, and now I look like I have something to hide. Which I suppose I do. Poor spelling.

Anyhoo, based on our phone conversation this afternoon I would like to add the word "Congratumatastic."

Congratumatastic!!! Yaaaaaaaayyyy!!!!

Alicia said...

Awesome news, Liz!!

Darrell said...

And now Lovely Liz, here's the title of your umpteenth book:

Poray! Poray! Its been 10 years!!
I'm Cancer Free Today"

By the way, have you shared my suggested title of Book One with anyone else???

Love You Sweetheart

Pop

Laura said...

HELL YES! Ok, don't let Laila, Owen, or Nona read that.

Heather Peterson said...

I'll be sure to join you for the ativan + mcdonalds- I think your sister might actually be a genius.

the list of daily pills IS impressive, but so glad there are these miracles of modern medicine to help.

xoxo
Heather

Unknown said...

oh thanks..I like the meds list...black cohash....good information...I could use this. You are doing great! Baby steps are good! Peg

MaryPat said...

Great news! I'm still thinking of you every day! ~xoxo