Saturday, July 17, 2010

Annonymity

We just got back from a week at Madeline Island. It was glorious. It was near perfect - and would have been if our three year-old son hadn't taken it as an opportunity to boycott sleeping. It was the best thing that Scott and I ever accidentally bought at an auction by bidding against each other when we were drinking. Oops.

But, anyway, one day I had an epiphany. I was getting ready to go out for a day at the pool and beach and looked in the mirror. I realized that I never lost my hair. Under the modest cover of a bathing suit, no scars show. I no longer have puncture wounds from needles and bruises from failed attempts at IV placements. I look healthy.

And as I marveled at this, I thought to myself: "None of these people know that I am a cancer survivor."

Did you read that? I said: "CANCER SURVIVOR!"

It just popped into my brain like it belonged there. And it does. I have made it. I finally feel like a cancer survivor. Go me!


9 comments:

Heather Peterson said...

So glad you got to get away- I imagine that would be very restorative! And congrats, cancer survivor. So glad that you're feeling it.

Darrell said...

HIP HIP HORRAY! HIP HIP HORRAY!

Guess you finally got to see what all the rest of us have been looking at -

A Gorgeous, Beautiful, Amazing Woman, whom by the way, beat the snot out cancer, in her spare time.

And, now that your eyes are working, you can forget about those glasses I had mentioned earlier

Pop

Andy - Becky Carlson said...

Fighters, with a "uniquely personal candor and positively uplifting presentation of reality" are an inspiration to themselves...and a light to those in her circle of admirers.....go girl...."take the beach"....

Anonymous said...

I remember your bidding fiasco : ) Clearly it had a silver lining - so glad you had a wonderful well deserved trip.

YOU ARE A SURVIVOR!!! CONGRATS!

Charlotte B.

MaryPat said...

Congrats CANCER SURVIVOR! So glad you got away, sounds like it did some good...

Sarah said...

Ahhh...this is the best thing I've heard all day. Love you, Liz.

Sharon said...

You go, Liz! Luv you.

Crista said...

Tears of happiness are making my eyes twinkle for you. Love,cjj

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I am glad you finally can see the light in your life---enjoy the rest of the summer!
Patty McP