Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Body Fails Me

Once upon a time, I took Tae Kwon Do with my dad.

Once upon a time, I earned a gold medal by doing a back kick through three boards at my first competition.

Once upon a time, I beat everyone in the gym in a push-up contest, pumping out 52 in just 60 seconds.

This is not that time. I tried to do some push-ups, in an attempt to bust through the layer of blubber that I have added in the last five months. (P.S. it is neither winter, nor am I a whale. There is no beneficial reason for this insulation.) Anyway, I got in push-up position last week and lowered myself down for the first of, hopefully, at least 20 reps. Wrong. Instead, it felt as though all of the muscles in my chest were ripping apart in an inferno of fiber snapping.

I didn't like it.

So, I guess I won't be doing many push-us in the near future. I won't be running, either, because it sucks. I probably won't be biking, because my tailbone problem has been acting up again. I may have to resort to dieting, which will be hard, because I really like pop tarts ... and lattes ... and brownies ... and pizza ... and margaritas.

Life is so challenging.

12 comments:

Darrell said...

You Need Glasses!!

Myself, and everyone else who sees you, think you look great!!

So there!! - Go get glasses

Pop

Renee Miller said...

I'm with Darrell. You look fab. But I certainly understand having a different standard for yourself than others do.

I just looked it up, and it appears many people recommend anywhere from 2-6 months after a breast augmentation to do pushups, longer for implants put under the muscle. So you are still normal! Of course, not much seems to mention implants held in by muscles taken from your back - for those I'll bet it's longer. ;)

You can just break some boards in the meantime.

Love you!

Gina and Tim said...

looks like we can just be lame together. :)
or, we can start doing some easy weightlifting routines after/during work, and get you strong enough to do pushups once again. (though i don't know why you'd want to...)

Crista said...

Applebees has something called a Skinny Bee Margarita with around 100 calories. I had it last Friday and it is pretty good.

It is the tall skinny drink pictured above its description at this enticing link:
http://www.applebees.com/Menu_Drinks.aspx

Also, Applebees has yummy broccoli.

Heather Peterson said...

First of all, I love the way Crista thinks.
And second everyone else about you looking great and the amount of time recovery will take.
Question: are you allowed to do yoga? Great for body, mind, and spirit (and when you get into vinyasa classes, also great for weight loss/ shape up, if you're into that kind of thing.)

Anonymous said...

Liz,

I am not able to do a "real" push-up either. The physical therapist told me to do them against the wall, forehead leading. Try it - good luck.

Cheryl

cathedwards said...

There are many things that break way easier than a board.
Flowers, asparagus, styrofoam...
Also your hair looks fab, your jeans super, ypur bathing suit awesome,and your t-shirt, wahoooo!
Love, mom

Andy - Becky Carlson said...

Try laying on your back, put a 10lb dumbbell in each hand..then push the weights up.....a push up in reverse.....add weight as the muscles get stronger......would that work as a starter?

The Wills Family said...

Apparently, I'm a lazy blogger these days. I agree with Heather.

PS Push ups are overrated. Margaritas are not - ever.

Annie Will - Manic Mom said...

I think you need to get on the Tostitos with melted cheddar diet. Worked for me! :)

Anonymous said...

swimming?

db

Anonymous said...

swimming?

db