Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Next Round

The decision has been made. I will be going in on Tuesday morning for a full hysterectomy. Why the full thing? Well, my tumors have put me at an increased risk for ovarian cancer, and the estrogen that the ovaries produce is now dangerous to my body. Also, the medication that I will soon start will put me at an increased risk for getting endometrial and uterine cancers. Finally, because I have a history of abnormal paps, I am at ... you guessed it ... an increased risk of developing cervical cancer.

So, soon I will have no ovaries, no uterus and no cervix. I will have at least three new scars to add to my collection, which I never wanted to start in the first place. I'll also be in menopause. Watch out!

The laparoscopic surgery is scheduled for 10:30. Scott will post an update as soon as he is able. Please pray for a successful surgery, that they do not find any more cancer, and for me to have strength. I'm doing pretty well with all of the prayers that you have been offering, so far, but a few directed ones couldn't hurt.

On a lighter note, I feel that it is very important to go into procedures such as these with a good attitude and a cheerful, hopeful spirit. That's why I wore this shirt to my mastectomy.
"This Is My Cancer Fighting Shirt."

To psych myself up for another round of injections and sutures and swelling, I wore this shirt today.

It says: "Yes they are fake! My real ones tried to kill me!"

I hope it brings you as much joy as it does me.

Oh, also. Check this out. I can almost reach straight up, now.

Pretty awesome, huh?

6 comments:

Jennifer Glenn said...

Lots of prayers coming your way! Your kids are lucky to have a mom that is doing everything in her power to stay healthy. Good for you! This can't be an easy decision.

-Jen Glenn

MaryPat said...

Once again, I think the right decision has been made. Though I am thinking of you and praying for you every day, I will pray extra hard for you tomorrow during your latest procedure. Your awsome strength and courage continue to inspire me...

xoxo ~mp

The Wills Family said...

You're such a rock star. We're sending "directed" prayers your way.

PS Last night, when we were saying prayers with Sam, I mixed up the order of folks we pray for and she got mad at me because said we always prayer for Mrs. Hewitt and Baby Meschke first. So, no worries, we've got hardcore prayers coming your way.

Heather Peterson said...

Am I allowed to say those are some bodacious tatas? Cause they are.
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, as always, and sending my best prayer-like energy and action your way.

Love,
Heather

P.S. Sooooo jealous of the killer brownie and New Moon combo.

jdoughe3 said...

You're looking great! We'll be thinking about you tomorrow - I'll light at candle at church. Lots of love,

The Dougherty Clan

Charlotte said...

You make me laugh--love the shirt! My best to you during surgery and subsequent days of healing.
Many prayers,
CC