Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Slice Morning

I'm not very excited about this day. I wish I were off enjoying Spring Break on a warm beach. Operating Rooms, to my fuzzy memory, are not particularly warm, nor do they serve margaritas. They do have narcotics and bright lights, though, so I guess that's something.

I suppose that it's fair to say that I have been in a bit of denial about this surgery. I worked a full day yesterday and had my brother over for dinner. I haven't packed a single thing. I haven't even cried ... well, since they told me no kids. That day, I cried enough for the rest of the month.

The mastectomy/wire placement/lymph node bisection/reconstruction was so scary and so involved that I dreaded it, but I felt ready. Suck it, cancer. I wanted the cancer out of my body. I wanted to fight it. I wanted to be in control and I felt blessed to be the one chosen to lead the charge. (I know that sounds strange, but I really did feel kind of honored. Out of all of the people in my family who could have been afflicted with this battle, I'm glad it was me.) Plus, I knew that I was going to get a nice new figure out of the whole disaster.

Today is different. Today, hopefully, we aren't removing cancer. We're just throwing an earthquake into it's path. That's a bold step, I guess. But I can't help feeling that I have to go through another major surgery and all I get out of it this time is three scars, hot flashes, abdominal weight gain, and osteoporosis.

That's not nearly as exciting as a new rack.

Sigh.

12 comments:

Anne said...

I too wish you were on a warm beach sipping margaritas!
Your strength is unbelievable, and your cancer-inspired shirts crack me up.
Praying as hard as I possibly can.
Love, Anne Hauth

Renee Miller said...

Love you!

Love4Haiti said...

Thinking about you today.....

Rachel (Sturm) Thimjon

Elissa said...

Even posting about your surgery, you crack me up. Thinking of you. Smiling. Hoping hard.

Sarah said...

You are on my mind, Elizabeth. Anxiously awaiting an update...

hoxn said...

Praying praying praying!

Heather Peterson said...

sending love to my lizzie.
love, love, love.

brookems said...

i'm pulling for you Liz - you can do this!!

-brooke
(one of the other Millers)

Margaret said...

I am sorry about this day. I hope that the excitement over your new rack will suffice to cover the lack of excitement generated by this surg. Surg is what I call surgeries now, by the way. I think that we should adopt it into our family syntax, but hope that we have limited occasions on which to use it.

I love you and I am thinking about you.

I love Scott too, but don't tell him I said so.

The Wills Family said...

sending love and expecting miracles...

Gina and Tim said...

As soon as you're done, we'll get set up with some margaritas...in your backyard. On lawn chairs. It might only be 50% as nice as the beach, but I think it'll still be pretty fun.

Crista said...

I like the term surg, though I would spell it surge, because that word means: "(of a ship) to rise and fall, toss about, or move along on the waves".

I feel liked you've been 'surged' enough and are ready to be done with your ship being tossed about.