Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bored

I'm bored.

I'm bored with being tired and I'm tired of being bored. It seems that the farther out I get from my latest surgery, the more exhausted I become. I suppose it should make sense, since the kids are home and I'm able to do more, but it seems a little uncalled for, if you ask me.

I'm bored of being not 100%. I'm feeling good, good enough that I sometimes stretch a little too far or move a little too quickly. Then, not so good. Also, I'm starting to acquire some new pains, which I suppose is my body's way of reminding me that I'm still an invalid. (Note to body: I hadn't forgotten. Also, I hate you.) My areas of discomfort are as follows:
  • Chest - for obvious reasons
  • Abdomen - from the hysterectomy
  • Belly Button - from the knives :)
  • Back - from the first surgery AND new aches as I learn to compensate for the missing muscles
  • Right Wrist - from the fluid leak during an IV attempt
  • The Fronts of Both Shoulders - from the chest muscles being re-configured
  • Left Leg - inexplicably. Perhaps from lack of stretching? Maybe I should try some couch calisthenics as I watch my next movie.

I'm bored of this "no soy" thing, already. I knew that to avoid the phytoestrogens in soy, I was giving up edamame and soy sauce and tofu and soy milk. But, who cares about soy milk? Does anyone even drink that? (And Jamba Juice doesn't count.) Anyway, as it turns out, I didn't really have any grasp of how widely used an ingredient soy is. For example, soy can be found hiding in the following items:
  • Barbecue Sauce
  • Twizzlers
  • Chocolate
  • Salad Dressings
  • Cereal
  • Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
  • Pretty Much All Asian Foods
  • Bread
  • Peanut Butter
  • Pancake Mix
  • Pasta Sauce
  • Chips
  • Granola Bars
  • Cous Cous
  • Delicious Cheese Powder for Popcorn (and that's just unfair, because I use that powder in place of butter.)
Stupid cancer. I'll get you for this.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is Nona, Laila has my Google account hostage again...

Here is my dream:
A cancer pinata that we beat on and beat on until it totally falls apart and out spills soy free barbecue sauce, Twizzlers, chocolate, salad dressings, cereal, oatmeal raisin cookies, many many Aisian foods, loaves of fabulous crusty bread, peanut butter, pancakes, hot and dripping with syrup, pasta sauce, chips chips and more chips, a few granola bars, cous cous, a giant tub of cheese powder and also, some great wine, chilled, a few tubs of Hydrangeas, blooming Hyacinths, and a note of promise from God that you will be well, all well in the "with in your grasp" future.

I love you,
Mom aka Nona

Charlotte said...

Beautiful Liz,
I want you to know that I'm thinking of you. I appreciate your humor and your candor as you keep us up to date on how things are evolving for you.

For heaven's sake, someone has to make cheese powder without soy!
CCleveland

Heather Peterson said...

Well, thanks Nona for making me cry. Liz is doing such a good job of keeping everyone laughing, and then you had to go and be her mom, and act all mom-like, for goodness sake.

I don't think there is soy in cake, is there? So at least the several dozen cake celebrations per year in the Hewitt (and Edwards) households should be okay. In fact, we must be due for one of those right about now, no?

Love you,
Heather

Darrell said...

Liz - did you know that the sun shine in Florida burns up all the soy in chocolate?? Really it does - so, may I ask why you are not on the next plane down??

We love you sweetheart - Pop and Grandma

Colleen said...

Hi Liz,

I pray that you feel stronger each day. I hope the aches and pains lessen and you are able to do the things you would like to do. God Bless You!

Thinking of you.

Colleen Barry

The Wills Family said...

You might be bored, but thank goodness, you haven't become boring. You're hillarious, strong and true. And, apparently, you're hot. And, I don't mean good-looking anymore, I mean hot-flash, sweaty hot. Is your parents' pool open, yet? Maybe you should head over there. Pick a good day, let me know in advance, I'll get a sitter and meet you there. That's not boring.... PS Nona is invited, but only if she refrains from making me cry.

Carrie Harrington said...

Umm. . . I don't mean to be rude and invite myself or anything, but . . . can I come to that party with the cancer pinata? What a fantastic idea! I should have known Cathy would be behind something like that!

Carrie